Barcelona will attempt to sign a new midfielder in the January transfer window as they look for a replacement for Gavi, president Joan Laporta said.
Article continues below
Article continues below
Article continues below
Gavi ruled out until end of seasonBarca need reinforcements in JanuaryLaporta wants to sign player on loanWHAT HAPPENED?
Gavi has been ruled out until the end of the season after suffering an anterior cruciate ligament tear while on international duty with Spain. It had been reported that the Catalan team could not afford to bring in a new midfielder, but Laporta confirmed they will pursue a loan offer like the one that saw Edgar Davids join from Juventus for the second half of the 2003-04 season.
AdvertisementGettyWHAT LAPORTA SAID
He told news agency: "If we manage to make the fair play work [with La Liga], the idea is to have another midfielder to compensate for the loss of Gavi. It would be a loan until the end of the season, like we did years ago with Edgar Davids, for example. I think before the end of the year we can create the space for a couple of deals we are working on."
THE BIGGER PICTURE
Barcelona's financial problems have made it difficult for the Spanish champions to sign new players in recent transfer windows, having had their wage budget cut by La Liga. Nevertheless, they will sign 18-year-old forward Vitor Roque in a deal worth €35 million (£30m/$38m) plus add-ons in January.
GettyWHAT NEXT FOR BARCELONA?
Before they can bring in a new midfielder, Barca will take on Almeria in La Liga in their final game of 2023 on Wednesday. Xavi's men have lost two and drawn one in their last three matches in all competitions and sit seven points behind leaders Real Madrid.






